Giving you the best personal attention is one of the hallmarks of what we do. But this is not just an initiative, it's ingrained in our DNA - through our family heritage that goes back to 1948.
Before and during the early part of the war Harry Squibb was clearing rubbish and other waste materials from East London and the docks, using horse and cart. He was called up to serve in the army until the war ended and he ended his service in 1946.
Untold destruction was done to the East End of London and when he returned to restart his business, he found himself clearing the rubble. This led to Harry becoming involved in the demolition of many unstable structures. In 1948, with the programme of clearance of East End tenement blocks, he founded H. Squibb and Son with the company based in Stepney.
The company survived, grew into Squibb and Davies when Harry took on a partner, and moved to the Bow Baptist churchyard. In 1969 Harry's son, Leslie, joined his father. He is the present chairman.
Founded by Harry Squibb in Stepney, East London, the company has come a long way since the removal of rubbish by horse and cart. The modern day Squibb Group continues to expand its operations and as a consequence has outgrown current offices and yard facilities in Barking, which were established in 1999. New state of the art offices and yard facilities are currently under construction at the Group’s nine acre re-cycling site in Stanford-Le-Hope and once occupied in 2017, the new HQ will form the hub of its national operations. The site will accommodate the Group’s wholly owned fleet of heavy plant and transport, re-cycling facilities and offices for the ever growing number of employees, confirming the Group’s status as one of the leading Demolition Contractors in the UK.
Squibb Group Ltd has operated as a highly successful family business over the last 70 years, developing into one of the UK's leading demolition groups. Squibb Group can offer a comprehensive service for demolition, decommissioning, decontamination, asbestos removal, environmental / land remediation, civil and structural engineering and associated works.
With legislators and authorities keen to avoid building upon greenfield sites, the construction industry has turned its attention to the use of brownfield sites that were contaminated during their previous existence. This has required demolition and dismantling companies like Squibb Environmental to pioneer and develop a broad range of skills in the removal, processing and disposal of contaminated materials.
The mission of the practice is to provide market leading, efficient, no-nonsense, economical broad spectrum consultancy services for developers, commercial organisations, institutional groups, architects, surveyors and owner/user clients. Our service is based upon the personal involvement of the directors who, through their wealth of experience, drive our projects from inception. We apply current technology and methods combined with the successful application of established engineering principles to achieve efficient design solutions.
Squibb International was established in 2005 to provide specialist demolition dismantling, decommissioning, abatement and engineering services to satisfy the ever increasing demands of the global infrastructure and property markets.
Decommissioning a nuclear installation is not for the fainthearted. Operating in such a challenging and regulated industry requires a skilled nuclear project management team and organisational abilities to provide bespoke engineering methods to solve the most complex of decommissioning projects.
With continuing growth, the company was incorporated in 1972, becoming known as Squibb & Davies (Demolition) Ltd.
In 1974 we became members of the National Federation of Demolition Contractors (NFDC). In 1983 we became the first demolition company to be awarded a licence to work with asbestos.
In 1987, Leslie J. H. Squibb, son to Leslie and grandson to Harry, joined the company. He is now the managing director. In 1995, in line with family tradition, Westley Squibb joined straight from school. His role, as with each of the other family members, was to gain experience out on site in all aspects of demolition. He joined the board of directors in 2001.
By 1998, the company was big enough to appoint John Symons as finance director. In 1999, with continued expansion, the company moved to the present, larger premises in Barking, leaving behind the Bow home of over 30 years. In 2000, the company was awarded an ‘Investor in People' accreditation.
2008 - The company changed its name to Squibb Demolition Limited.
2008 - Squibb Plant Hire was set up. Squibb Environmental Limited took responsibility for all recycling. PGCS was acquired and the Dubai office was opened.
2012 - Squibb Group opens a new International office in Qatar
2015 – Planning permission agreed for new offices to be built at SG’s Stanford-le-hope site in Essex
2016 – New Regional Office established near Sellafield to accommodate SG’s recently formed Nuclear Division covering projects across the UK
2016- Work begins on the new offices which are scheduled for completion mid 2017
From a small start in the post war years the company has grown to its present position as one of the UK's leading demolition contractors. Alice and Lauley, the chairman's daughters, are also now on the management team, and Squibb Demolition can truly call themselves a ‘Family Company'.
Squibb Group are committed to ensuring there is no modern slavery or human trafficking in our supply chains or in any part of our business. Our Anti-Slavery and Human Trafficking Policy and Procedure reflects our commitment to acting ethically and with integrity in all our business relationships and to implement and enforce effective systems and controls.View Policy